Friday 19 February 2016

Edible Oils: COCONUT

I use Coconut Oil (See far Left) everyday in my day to day living, it is an amazing all round beneficial oil- wish so many uses and benefits. I have a lot of people ask what the benefits are, so here you go !
It is naturally anti bacterial and anti fungal in nature, and can be used in its natural form (solid) or can be used in cooking as it doesn't lose its properties throughout the heating process. It becomes liquid in form at body temp so a few seconds on the hand and it begins to melt.
Although it is technically a saturated fat (Most are known as the bad fats!), it actually helps to lower blood cholesterol levels. It raises the good cholesterol levels (HDL- High Density Lipoprotein) and changes the bad cholesterol levels (LDL- Low Density Lipoprotein) to  a benign subtype. Coconut has been seen in a bad light in the past due to its high saturated fats- but 90% of them have been proven harmless and they are not 'artery clogging' as first believed. It contains medium chain fatty acids, which are metabolised in  different way to long chain fatty acids- they are taken straight to the Liver from the digestive system to be used as energy, and are turned into their respective Ketone bodies. These medium chain fatty acids can increase energy expenditure compared to the same amount supplied from Long chain fatty acids.
Coconut Oil is digested by enzymes (proteins) and forms a Monoglyceride called Monolaurin. It also contains Lauric Acid, and both of these can destroy harmful pathogens such as bacteria, viruses and fungi.
It can improve the moisture and lipid (fat) content within the skin, and it can also be effective as a low level sunscreen due to its natural protective barrier. In the same way it can also protect against hair damage.
Coconut Oil has many uses and can be used internally as well as externally. Below are a few ways in which I utilise the benefits of coconut oil.

* Cooking- used in all baking, stir fry's, flapjacks etc. Can also be added to smoothies and used in marinades. I add a teaspoon of coconut Oil to my little boys porridge every morning to help with his constipation and help building his immune system.
* Massage blends- I use coconut oil as a carrier oil for massages including essential oils. It is a great medium for massage on body, face and head, and although it is solid, it becomes liquid at body temperature.
* Face Wash- I add equal parts of coconut oil and baking soda- mix well to break up any lumps and use as a good facial exfoliator- it helps unclog pores, treats acne and blemishes, exfoliates the dry, dead skin but also adds moisture. The baking soda helps to neutralise the skin and regulates its PH by interacting with the things on the skin and found in the pores. I use this around 3 times a week.
* Oil Pulling- Every morning after breakfast I practice the ancient technique of Oil Pulling. I out a teaspoon of natural coconut oil in my mouth (solid state), and let it melt. I swish the oil around my teeth and make sure the oil reaches each part of my mouth. I keep swishing, but make sure I don't swallow the oil. This technique kills all the bacteria in the mouth, helps to freshen the breath (due to its antibacterial properties) and can help keep sore throats at bay. After 'pulling' around my mouth for 5 minutes I spit the oil out. I then follow with a natural toothpaste (see picture last right), and will sometimes use a sprinkle of Bicarbonate of Soda on the toothbrush to help clean the teeth and whiten.
* Conditioner- add to the hair around 10 minutes before showering. Add the shampoo before the water so the shampoo an penetrate the hair and remove the oils residue- if you add water first it will resemble oil on a wet road... impossible to clean off.

It really is a home essential for me, and I use it around 3 times a day ! I love the taste and the texture, and love the feeling that I know it has the stated benefits and I'm passing these onto my family. Generally, it is best to pay around £6 plus a jar, as this will have been processed without minimal manufacturing so will have retained its benefits. Cold pressed is best as the oil has literally been extracted by placing coconut pulp between 2 presses and squeezed. No chemicals, no refining, and no heating methods. It really is a great alternative to other more abrasive, chemically refined products, and has far more benefits !

No comments:

Post a Comment